Saturday, February 2, 2008

About me

Hi all,
My name is Francisco Salgado-Robles and I am a second-year PhD student in the program of Hispanic Linguistics at the University of Florida. About me, let me tell you that I was born in Sanlúcar de Barrameda in the province of Cádiz (Andalucía, Spain) –a very well-known city for its beautiful beach, its original wine called Manzanilla, its tasty shrimps, its charming people, and its nice weather.
Since I was in high school, I became passionate in the field of education, especially to the literature and language areas. In 2004 I graduated in English Linguistics and Literatures from the University of Seville, Seville. Encouraged by some professors to study overseas and explore the passion of my field (issues in bilingualism), I was granted a scholarship for my graduate studies at the University of Missouri. Upon the completion of my master’s degree in 2006, I applied for doctoral studies at the University of Florida. Since then, I have been working primarily in second language acquisition (under the supervision of Dr. Gillian Lord) and language variation and change (under the supervision of Dr. Jessi Aaron).
As to my work experience during my undergraduate studies, I tutored in Spanish to exchange students from the US for CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange) Program at the Applied Language Institute. Besides, for my last two years (2002 – 2004) in Seville, I was the program assistant (under the direction of Dr. Jane Arnold) in the Department of English Linguistics. In the University of Missouri, I also received a lecturer position to teach intermediate Spanish at the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures. Since last fall 2006, I have been working as a teaching assistant in Spanish at the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures in the University of Florida. Additionally, I teach Spanish during summer semesters in the Study Abroad Program CCCS (The Center for Cross-Cultural Study), Seville, Spain. Currently I am teaching Spanish at the intermediate level under the direction of Dr. Gillian Lord.
Apart from the academic and professional facets, for 3 years now I have been sharing my life with a bright, adoring, and marvellous person: Carmen. Above all, she represents my muse in the entire sense of my life and is, as her name signifies, the recreation of a poem. Together we spend our time jogging, listening to rock and pop music, as well as that of particular singer-songwriters, watching European films, reading literature (especially, that flourished as a linguistic, social or political commitment), cooking Spanish cuisine, and working towards our doctoral studies at the University of Florida.

No comments: